F-Droid is a company that has a passion for Free and Open Source software. This is offered to a wide range of customers on Android platform. Over the last few years, the popularity of smart phones has increased by a great deal and this is primarily due to the easy availability of applications that can be installed with the click of a button. Customers have the option to download the application or the software of their choice on to their device from the internet and the best part is that a lot of them are available for free.
F-Droid is a leading provider of free software for your smart phones and is known for its excellent reviews and news coverage. The company is represented by a bearded robot, a logo that is a modification of something similar created by Google. The best part is that all applications and software available on this site are completely free. Moreover, customers are guided to use free available products that have been designed for the greater good and not for profits.
The world is full of options as far as paid software and applications for smart phones like androids is concerned. There are a number of websites and companies that work day in and day out to market the best possible applications at extremely low prices. Developers put up their work for sale on these websites and usually get 70% of the profits. The websites and companies retain the remaining 30%, which covers their operational cost and profits.
However, the truth is that versions of most of the applications are available on the internet for free and you just have to look at the right place. In fact, some of the applications are so popular that their free versions appear within hours of the paid versions being available. This is where F-Droid steps in and helps you get free software for your androids.
The F-Droid repository can be installed easily and quickly. There are multiple versions for each type of application and this makes it easy to browse and choose the application of your choice. Newer versions and updates are also easy to view and install. The best part is that the source code is readily available thereby allowing you to alter it as per your requirement.
Another benefit of using F-Droid is that updates are automatic and the customer does not have to do anything. The client can be configured to re scan the repository at pre defined intervals to pick up updates and ensure that your version of the software is the most recent at all times.
The fact is that F-Droid is one of the very few websites that is being run by people who strongly believe that all software should be free and open source and not be kept away from people who cannot pay for it. Though this concept may not be ideal from the perspective of developers but the fact is that it is just perfect for customers.